Kings Heath estate was built in the 1940’s and 1950’s and originally consisted of predominantly Council-owned housing. In its early days it won awards for its design incorporating green spaces and “village” feel, but like many outer estates there was a decline in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s when the estate gained a bad reputation. While many problems still exist on the estate we believe that the majority of residents are people of goodwill who want to see the community thrive. There is great spiritual need and God has begun to turn things around through the first step of establishing a growing worshipping community with vision and hope for transformation.
Key moments in our recent history have been:
- a prayer group based at St Giles Anglican Church in central Northampton, who began to pray in the late 1990’s for “King Jesus’ Heath”.
- The small Kings Heath Baptist congregation who recognized that there should be mission and outreach into the community, so they prayed and asked other churches for help.
- In 2006 St Augustines Anglican Church was closed.
- In January 2007 a small group from St Giles joined Kings Heath Baptist Church for worship, fellowship and mission, and Church on the Heath was born.
- A formal agreement between the two denominations to work together on Kings Heath was concluded in September 2008. Since that time other Baptists, Anglicans and those with no denominational affiliation have joined the church, including those who have recently come to faith.
- In September 2008 a Youth and Community Worker was appointed and mission into the estate began in earnest.
- In February 2009 we established and clarified our Vision: God was wanting not just to grow the church but also transform the community.
- Late in 2009, the “New2U” shop was first opened, run by volunteers from the church and offering cheap second hand goods and a friendly environment for the local people.
- 2012 saw the first baptisms of local adults recently come to faith in Jesus.